There are so many fantastic Dr. Seuss books out there that I would have a really hard time trying to pick just one as my favorite. My children however, don’t see to have that problem.
Even though there happen to be numerous Dr. Seuss books filled with awesome worlds and crazy creatures, the fun-filled story and amazing pictures that make up the book The Lorax, seem to be what has truly captured their attention.
In honor of Dr. Seuss’ upcoming birthday, which of course also includes the Read Across America celebration, we’ve been sharing a few fun snacks to go along with some of his most iconic stories, but today, we’re sharing one that pairs perfectly with one of our personal favorites.
It doesn’t get much cuter than that right?!
These make the perfect snack to enjoy while reading this fun story and what’s even better is that the kids can help you make them!
The recipe below will yield 6 Lorax rice krispie bars, although you may want to make a few more as these will go quick 🙂
Rice Krispie Ingredients:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 (10 oz.) bags of marshmallows
- 10 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
Rice Krispie Directions:
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows to the melted butter and stir constantly until melted.
- Once the marshmallows are melted, remove from the heat and stir in the cereal and salt until well combined.
- Transfer the cereal mixture to the prepared pan and press down firmly and evenly.
- All the Rice Krispies to cool in the pan completely before adding decorations.
Lorax Rice Krispies Ingredients:
- Prepared 9 x 13 pan of Rice Krispies cut into 6 large bars
- Mustache candy mold
- 1 tablespoon solid shortening
- 2/3 cup yellow Wilton chocolate melts
- 2 tablespoons solid shortening
- 1 cup orange Wilton chocolate melts
- 24 yellow Runts candies
- 12 large Wilton candy eyes
- 6 orange Dots candies
- Lollipop sticks (optional)
Lorax Rice Krispies Directions:
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, microwave 1 tablespoon shortening for 40 seconds or until melted.
- Add the yellow chocolate melts and stir until completely melted.
- Pour the melted yellow chocolate into the mustache molds and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, microwave 2 tablespoons solid shortening until melted.
- Add the orange chocolate melts and stir until completely melted.
- Spread the melted orange chocolate on the top of each Rice Krispies bar. Lay each bar on wax paper lined baking sheet.
- Before the orange chocolate “sets” on each bar, add the candy eyes, Runts for eyebrows, and Dots for the nose.
- Lastly, lightly press a yellow chocolate mustache onto each bar and set aside for at least one hour to “set.”
- Optional: Insert a lollipop stick into each bar to make them a bit easier for little hands to handle.