This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please see my full disclosure policy.
And the Seuss inspired snacks just keep on coming!
With the author’s birthday coming up on March 2, along with NEA’s Read Across America Day, we’re putting together some awesome Seuss inspired snacks to make the celebration even sweeter.
And it’s just not a birthday celebration without a little cake, am I right?!
Well, no worries! These One Fish, Two Fish cupcakes make an awesome Seuss inspired birthday treat!
Not only are these a fun treat, they’re the perfect snack to pair with one of our favorite Dr. Seuss books!
So grab your own copy of One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish and get the kids into the kitchen! I promise, you’re going to love them :)
Chocolate Cupcake Ingredients:
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease cupcake pans or line with cupcake liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs to the butter, one at a time, beating well with each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Add half of the flour and half of the milk and beat well.
- Add the rest of the flour and milk and beat until well-incorporated.
- Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes at 350° or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in pan for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Once completely cooled, ice the cupcakes.
Yellow Buttercream Ingredients:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Yellow food gel/color
- 2 tablespoons cold milk
- Swedish Fish of various colors for garnish
Yellow Buttercream Directions:
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter.
- Add half of the sugar and mix well on medium speed with a mixer.
- Add the rest of the sugar and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add 2-3 drops of yellow food gel until you reach your desired color of bright yellow.
- Using a decorating tip, pipe frosting onto each cupcake.
- Garnish with Swedish Fish