This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please see my full disclosure policy.
Whether your kids are getting ready to head back to school, you’re gearing up for your next homeschool year or, the new school year is already underway for your family, the beginning of a new year can be rough transition for some kids.
Establishing a few fun back to school traditions is a great way to combat some of those first day jitters and even better, can be a whole lot of fun for the entire family.
One seriously sweet tradition that you can start right now, is getting the kids into the kitchen to create a delicious treat to celebrate that first day back.
And if you’re needing a little inspiration to get you started, you won’t find a more perfect treat to kick off your new school year than these adorable chalkboard Rice Krispie treats!
These treats are such an awesome mix of a classic treat and a fun back to school theme and the best part is, the kids can help you make them!
And really, who wouldn’t love one of these Krispie chalkboards after a full day of learning?!
Have I mentioned yet that they are super easy to throw together? If you’ve ever made a batch of Rice Krispie treats before, these are going to be a breeze!
In fact, the first half of this recipe is just making a batch of basic rice cereal treats.
For the full recipe, you’ll need:
- 9 x 9 inch pan of Rice Krispie treats (made with your favorite recipe or the one below)
- 1 tablespoon solid shortening
- 1 cup Wilton black candy melts
- 2 large red Airhead candies
- 2 large blue Airhead candies
- 2 large green Airhead candies
- White icing tube (can often be found in the cake decorating section of your local craft store)
A basic Rice Krispie treat recipe works perfectly for these. For this, you’ll need:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 2 (10 oz.) bags of marshmallows
- 10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
To make the Rice Krispie treat base:
- Spray a 9 x 9 inch pan with a non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows to the melted butter, stir constantly until melted.
- Remove the marshmallow mixture from the heat and stir in the cereal until all of the cereal is coated.
- Transfer the cereal mixture to a prepared pan and press down firmly to even out the treats.
- Cool for 30 minutes before cutting into 6 large bars.
To turn them into chalkboard Krispies, line a cookie sheet with wax paper and place the 6 Rice Krispie bars on the sheet and set aside.
In a microwave safe bowl, microwave 1 tablespoon solid shortening for 45 seconds or until melted. Add the black candy melts and stir until melted.
You may need to microwave in additional 10 second increments until the candy is completely melted and smooth.
Dip the tops of the Rice Krispie bars into the melted black chocolate and place back on the cookie sheet for about 30 minutes to harden. If you find it easier, you can also use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate onto the top of each bar as well.
While those are setting up, make the border for each chalkboard by cutting each candy Airhead into 4 long strips.
Lay the strips along the outer edges of each Rice Krispie treat and gently press them down.
You may have to trim the Airhead pieces depending on the size of your bars but your candy strips should easily stick into place.
Finally, with the tube of white icing, pipe your favorite back to school phrases onto the chalkboards and enjoy!